Dubai: A Dubai man who fell in love with his countrywoman, ordered his friends to kidnap her and bring her to him.
The Dubai Court of First Instance heard the case on Sunday when five Bangladeshi men appeared in the courtroom facing kidnap charges.
- Eid Al Adha 2020: See how UAE residents get into the festive mood
- Eid Al Adha 2020: 10 ways partake in the festivities from home
- 2022 Jeep Wagoneer mule spotted testing in Dubai!
- UAE: Reader tries to cancel credit card, bank asks him to pay extra annual fee of Dh1,500
- Photos: Gulf News readers share pictures of the beautiful mosques in the UAE
- Photos: How UAE residents celebrated Eid Al Adha
The 24-year-old Bangladeshi woman testified that she had dumped her countryman after having an affair with him. The man then asked his friends to kidnap her from the Ras Al Khor area in June 2020.
“I was kidnapped by him and others who dragged me to a taxi at 6pm. He kidnapped me to force me into staying with him as we had a romantic relationship,” said the woman on record.
The defendant, who is still at large, muzzled her to prevent her from screaming, but she was smart enough to drop her bag and phone on the ground before being dragged inside the taxi.
An Indian couple jogging in the area witnessed the kidnapping and found the woman’s phone lying behind and alerted Dubai Police. The taxi was identified by Dubai Police, who came to rescue the victim from a house in the Al Nahda area of Dubai.
Dubai Public Prosecution has also charged the woman with practising prostitution and having an illicit affair with the absconding defendant.
“Five of the defendants who were arrested admitted to the kidnap charge. They claimed that the absconding defendant had asked them to bring the woman to him,” said a policeman on record.
- Sharjah mobile police stations ensure zero crimes
- Indian woman embezzles Dh1.1 million in life insurance fraud
- Dubai visitor arrested for touching woman inappropriately while she was walking alone
- Dubai woman tricked visitor through Tinder date
- Watches worth Dh640,000 stolen from Emirati footballer’s home in Dubai
- Dubai blacksmith abuses girl playing in her garden
The victim said she was angry and left the home of the defendant when she discovered that he was already married and had children.
The next hearing is scheduled for September 6. All defendants will remain in police custody.